POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is the music industry so privileged? : Re: Why is the music industry so privileged? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is the music industry so privileged?
From: scott
Date: 3 Apr 2008 02:15:15
Message: <47f48403$1@news.povray.org>
>     It does?? I find that kind of mind-boggling since the music industry
> has been around for ages.

I just did some quick Googling and came up with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_industry#Recorded_Music_Interim_Physical_Retail_Sales_in_2005

Which seems to indicate about $12bn of music sales in the top 20 countries,
so we can guess that the worldwide figure is tops $20bn.

And then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_largest_software_companies

Where Microsoft alone sells $40bn of software, the total is probably around
$150bn.